I was about to do some chisel work on a plank I was making, but couldn’t find the maul I use with it. I vaguely recall loaning it out, but that was awhile back. So, it was a good time to make a replacement from Walnut. In the first picture, there is half of a small log, which I used the circular saw on, to remove the outer wood, called sap wood. At this point, it has the approximate dimensions of the finished maul.Next, I get the shape much closer to finished with a 4 inch angle grinder, and a disk that I don’t know the name of. I bought it a couple years ago at a tool store, just as a curiosity. That was a very good purchase, man this thing works well. It hasn’t got dull, it doesn’t clog, and the price was low. I’m not sure how it’s made, maybe industrial diamond bits adhered to the steel disk part. The line on the side of the wood is the pith at the center of the log, but it won’t affect my project too bad.
Next, I used a bench sander, which isn’t shown here. A friend gave it to me, probably 10 years ago, needing a repair; and it sat in the barn for almost the entire time. One day, I dug it out, and ordered the missing belt online, from Sears. What’s strange is that I’m continuously wondering how I ever got by without it. Very handy tool, I totally recommend getting one.
I’ve dipped the maul in clear Shellac, there is no stain or color added. This is what Walnut looks like when only clear is added; and it stays just like this.
Here’s the first job I used the maul on, that will be a separate page. I also realized this would make a good club for the small confines of my truck cab. What it lacks in length, it makes up for in width and weight. Anyone reaching in the cab will have some solid hardwood to contend with.