Papa Challenge: Boat Repair.

We give our children a better start in life when we spend time showing them the skills we know or learn new ones together. The Papa Challenge is a friendly encouragement to do projects with your kids. If you have projects you’ve done with your children, tell us about it in the comments, or send the information to my email, and I’ll put it on one of these pages.

jim_d@donahuesignarst.com

I got a free fiberglass boat from marketplace. I could see that the hull needed a couple of repairs, but I had no idea the extent of the damage. My youngest son was interested in using it, and became eager to help fix it.

So the adventure began. I did most of the work, but you’ll see him in the pictures. After sanding, we were able to see a number of holes that were filled with bondo. I doubt that body filler is strong enough for this job. It’s made for filling small dents on automotive bodies, not spanning open areas, especially ones that must be watertight and under pressure.

Wow, what a lot of holes! Well, it’ll be a good learning project. Below is a closer picture of one of the holes,

In order to make a really strong repair, we put fiberglass inside as well as out side. This diagram shows a cross section. The dark green part is the original hull. It’s two thin layers of fiberglass with a thick layer of gritty foam like stuff between the inside layer and the outside layer. For the sake of simplicity, all three layers of the original hull are the dark green part.

The tan layer is the fiberglass we put on the inside. The gold layer is the fiberglass we put on the outside. The cream colored part is the body filler we filled the dip with.

next is a picture of the fiberglass we put inside one of the holes. We sand the area around the hole for good grip of the new material.

Now we put the outside layers of fiberglass on. The fiberglass mat ends up being kind of thin after the resin is applied, so we use three pieces stacked to make the layer.

Next we added body filler, and sanded it.

After that, we put on two coats of rusty metal primer. I chose that type because the hull was old and had a porous look in some places. The rusty metal primer has a lot of solids in it, which would help fill those places.

Next we spray painted a bright blue area around the boat. After that dried, we put a wide pice of tape over the blue paint.

Then we sprayed it white. After that, we removed the tape. The wider blue part is so that it will be easier to put identification numbers on if they’re ever needed. That part is three pieces of tape wide. Project finished!

#toolsintn #fiberglass #fiberglassboat #fiberglassrepair #papachallenge. #jdpaintslinger