When I was a kid, there were quite a few Quansit Huts still around. They make something like them today, but they don’t look exactly the same. Well, there might be a easy duplicate, steel silo siding. I have three pieces of it, and it’s very substantial metal, compared to roof tin. I would guess at least 3 times as thick. Unfortunately, I only have 3 pieces of it. The shortest one was 13 feet 4 inches, along the span of the curve; so I had to cut the others down to that size. I want to make the roof of a shed, which will end up being about 8 feet by 12 feet.
The pieces had a few holes in them, which I patched with a smaller piece. In the first picture you can see the piece I cut to use as a patch. It has about twice as many holes as I need, so I covered some holes with pieces of aluminum can. I have some .040″ aluminum sheet, but that’s too thick to conform to the curves. I also have some heavy duty foil, for cooking, but that might be too thin. I’ve used aluminum cans for a number of projects, and they work great.
This patch piece will be under the big piece, for rain runoff, so the top piece will help hold these little squares in place. They’re held on and sealed with clear caulk. In the first picture, you’ll see an 11 amp DeWalt 4 inch angle grinder. I bought it new at Rural King. The 7 amp model was about $60, and the 11 amp was only $10 more. It’s worth the extra power. There’s an old caulk gun, with a tube of caulk that was left over from a job (I didn’t have to buy it). There’s some galvanized bolts and nuts that came with the metal, along with a large can of anti seize compound I got for free at the recycle place. The silver metal is the can, and the shears were given to me by a guy that had an extra pair. They cut great. Here’s the aluminum squares adhered with the caulk:Here’s the completed patch, if you look close, you can see the self drilling screws I ran along the sides:The metal also had a round hole, which I patched: